Thursday, March 6, 2014

Top Secret ::: Super-Clarify Your Hair

Image via Babble

I had this post scheduled for a while now, and almost bailed on posting it after seeing the same tip mentioned on Grace's blog over the weekend, but decided that it's too good not to share anyway. 

As I think I've said in the past, I tend to shampoo with Prell before I touch up my roots, just to get any buildup of deep conditioners, leave ins, dry shampoo, dead skin, color conditioners, and any other goo that might have built up out of my hair and leave my strands free for a good, fresh color application. 



This is most important at the scalp, since I rarely pull color through my full strands, and the combination of repeat coloring the root, color conditioner/leave in conditioner buildup and dry shampoo becomes kind of a volume destroyer and a shellac no dye can evenly penetrate.  Usually if any other color goes through my full strand, it's in the form of highlights, since I only color my ends in the form of a gloss or color conditioner.  

Yes this clarifying trick fades my color a bit, but since I save it for right before coloring anyway, I am not particularly concerned with that fading. 



What I never did share prior to now (in an effort to save it for this post!) was that I mix in baking soda with the Prell, usually about 60/40 prell-to-baking soda (it's not quite pastyish, still spreadable) to really make it squeaky clean, especially on my scalp.  And then condition with a deep penetrating but light conditioner.



I actually tried it once many years ago after getting carried away with smearing the baking soda on my face (it makes a really great facial exfoliator when mixed with water!) and having it spread down my neck and into my hairline.  



After I rinsed it and my hair was dry after that shower, my hairline had a new "zhush" that it hadn't had in a while.   

If you give it a try, let me know what you think!   

Disclaimer--Proceed at your own risk if you have chemically treated your hair. {accordingtoame} is not responsible for associated damage to color or treatments.

Be sure to follow according to ame on 
Twitter ::: Facebook ::: Instagram ::: Pinterest  ::: Bloglovin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?