Monday, October 14, 2013

Must Try ::: Five Star Burger in Clayton, MO

Photo: Found on Google Image, unsure of original source since it came up several times.

Last weekend, I convinced my husband to check out a newish burger joint here in St. Louis, called Five Star Burgers, which I had read a lot about, and was dying to try.  It was decidedly not on plan, and definitely not low-carb, and not exactly conveniently located.  We threw caution to the wind, piled ourselves into the car and headed out.

After a few wrong laps around a few wrong blocks (apparently my internal map of Clayton is upside down...) we found it, and parked right in front. Thankfully, we arrived at the perfect time in mid-afternoon, and were among only a handful of tables.  Just how we like it. And unlike other experiences with few tables in mid-afternoon, the service was still great. 

We sat down, and started reviewing a menu full of creative combinations.  My husband went with the Gateway Burger, subbing cheddar for American cheese, and getting their Original Russet Fries.  I decided to try the Blue Ribbon Burger, subbing Provelone for Blue Cheese, and going with the Sweet Potato Fries with Maple Cream.  

Rest of Photos: Me

The maple cream was interesting. I didn't love or hate it, but I wasn't quite sure about it even by the end. It certainly didn't stop me from using it with nearly every dip, though part of that was to conceal the fact that, like almost every restaurant serving Sweet Potato Fries I have ever been to, they were ridiculously overcooked. It offset the slightly charred taste just enough to make them palatable again.  The russet fries were OK. They reminded me of Wendy's and were otherwise uninteresting. 


Port wine soaked onions...Mmmm....

The sides here are not the main event, though, and thankfully, the burgers are fantastic and were worth every cent of the admission price.  The meat is flavorful and perfectly cooked, and the toppings are definitely well selected.  What made my burger were the port-soaked onions.  I gambled a bit selecting that particular burger, not the bacon and the cheese obviously, but those onions turned out to be the piece de resistance.  My husband practically inhaled his burger, and nearly every bite was met with a sound of pleasure. These burgers were just the right amount of messy, dripping without being a disaster.


When we ordered, I could not resist a Salted Caramel milkshake, especially knowing that it was using Serendipity's Salted Caramel ice cream, a local ice cream I adore, especially when paired with Apple Pie.  My husband got a Chocolate Shake, and I enjoyed a swig of his, as well. The toasted marshmallow on top of each was a really nice garnish.  The only complaint I would say I have with these is just that for the price, they're pretty small. But they were very tasty shakes. 

I was pretty pleased with the meal, and the service, so I think we'll try them out again if we're in the area. I don't know if we'll make a special trip that direction, though. It's just not "geographically desirable" enough for our day-to-day dining. 

Check out any new places lately? I'd love to hear about it!

Be sure to follow according to ame on 
Twitter ::: Facebook ::: Instagram ::: Pinterest  ::: Bloglovin'

2 comments:

What do you think?