Thursday, August 15, 2013

Trend Worth Trying::: Hot Pink and Navy Blue

Photo: Mary McDonald

As I've probably harped on and on about, I think navy seriously is the most versatile color in the wheel, and you can pair it with just about anything. I love it with lime and teal, and also with gold or bronze, but although Mackenzie already knows and proclaims, I am only just learning (accepting?) that seems bright pink is a serious winner, too. The only reason I have a couple hot pink items at all in my closet now is simply to wear this winning team.  I know, I am super late to this shindig...

I am not usually a fan of pink anything, in part because it competes with my hair, but this color combo has seriously grown on me of late. I recently designed an invitation suite for a wedding using that color scheme, and it worked out so perfectly!

It's popping up in decor, it's popping up in single pieces of clothing, and it's all over the wedding world. I have found that the most versatile way to work it into your wardrobe is to add a bright beaded necklace or a bright pink belt to a mostly navy and white ensemble, or if you're braver, a hot pink top or shoes.  My first entry into this world was brave for me--a bright pink cami to go with my navy and multi stripe t-shirt, with a bright pink cardi over top, paired with dark straight-legged jeans and navy espadrille flats. 

Here are a few great pieces, and a few great rooms, featuring this amazing color scheme. And of course, a shot of those invitations.


Photos: Nordstrom.com, LillyPulitzer.com, C.Wonder.com, OldNavy.com, LaneBryant.com, Etsy.com
Collage by me

1::: This cardigan by Halogen from Nordstrom covers both colors in one piece in a more subtle way. I picked it up at Nordstrom Anniversary this year and already busted it out for work.

2::: A super fun and vibrant top that would be great on it's own for drinks one night, or under a navy cardi for work, this Lilly Pulitzer option really captures the trend and has a flattering "peplum" style.

3::: More casual, this Pleione top from Nordstrom would be great with dark jeans and flats and a few navy accessories, but could also work well for, uh, work.

4::: A beautiful and slightly fancier lacy top from C.Wonder, this could work with a pair of bright pink pants for the more brave, or under a cami for the less brave.

5::: Two trends in one! This C.Wonder cardi nails colorblocking AND navy and hot pink all in one great piece! 

6::: Perfect with heels for a nice dinner out, or with flats as a weekend day dress, this fun piece from Lilly Pulitzer nails the trend in a classic shape.

7::: If you're really brave, these pink polka-dot pants go up to size 20, and would be great with a solid navy t-shirt.

8::: This Lane Bryant cardi is a great pick for the plus sized ladies, and would be amazing over a navy or white top. Side note::: their camis are amazing for underneath, in fall I expect a navy variant, and probably a hot pink, too. 

9::: For those only dipping a toe in the trend, this necklace would be a great pop for a navy, white and gold/bronze outfit.




Invitations by Dickey Design


Not to be outdone by the wardrobe, homes are also getting in on this trend, all the way from the bold living room done by Mary McDonald, to a slightly more subtle take shown on HGTV's site showcasing a great bedroom idea, to a great outdoor room done by Amanda Nisbet. 



Is this trend one you are working into your wardrobe (or wedding or home!), also?

Be sure to follow according to ame on 
Twitter ::: Facebook ::: Instagram ::: Pinterest  ::: Bloglovin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?