Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Super cute story: LOVE!

OMG! This is the sweetest story about a couple spending their 60th anniv. at the Waldorf and paying what they paid for the room in 1950! Love like this does exist out there. :-)
It was a memento of their first night as man and wife: a receipt for $26.72 from the Waldorf-Astoria, where Edith and Robert Scalise began their life of wedded bliss.
Exactly 60 years later, the 85-year-old lovebirds checked into the famed Park Ave. hotel for the second time in their lives - and paid not a penny more.
In honor of the Long Island couple's long and happy life together, the hotel offered them a suite to celebrate their wedding anniversary, and honored the same price they paid in 1950. "We couldn't afford to stay in this hotel again after that night," Edith said.  "We used to come every once in a while for  dinner, but I've been having this dream to stay here for years."
Their room in 1950 cost just $23.10, their restaurant bill was $3.47 and the telephone charge was 15 cents.
They spent one night there as Mr. and Mrs. Scalise before heading to Bermuda on their honeymoon.
Returning to the hotel, where a representative said suites now go for between $600 to $800 a night, was a dream come true for the couple.
Thursday's stay capped off a fairy-tale day in which they stood side by side in St.Patrick's Cathedral to renew their wedding vows and then danced cheekto cheek like they were teenagers.
"These 60 years were the happiest years of my life," Robert said to his wife at the altar of the Lady Chapel in the rear of the majestic Fifth Ave. cathedral.
"I love you and will marry you again if you want, for another 60 years."
The couple met in 1936 at Brooklyn's  Public School 157. The moment 12-year-old Robert set eyes on Edith he was dazzled by her beauty, charm and  intelligence - and knew she was the one for him. Although they were always friends and went on a couple of dates, Edith needed a little more persuading. It wasn't until Robert was 22 and had returned from serving three years in the military that he finally won her heart for good.
"I always had feelings for Bob," Edith said. "In my heart, I always knew there was something very positive about how I felt about him, I was just frightened of his big Italian family."
The couple wed on May 20, 1950, in a Williamsburg church, followed by a reception for 400 guests.
This time around was a more modest affair, but the happy couple reveled in their second turn of wedded bliss. Edith was walked down the aisle by her three daughters, while their grandchildren and close friends looked on. She refused to let Robert see her white outfit before the big day - including her garter - and the couple could not take their eyes off each other.
"It's been an amazing journey," Robert said. "I married my childhood sweetheart, I always knew I loved her, I always knew I wanted her."
"I guess we have kind of danced through life," Edith added. "The secret is not to give up at the first fight."
"I'm so blessed to be married to you," she said to her husband, as they exchanged rings for a second time.
"So am I," he replied.
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/21/2010-05-21_li_lovebirds_celebrate_anny_at_the_waldorfastoria__and_at_1950_prices_these_60_y.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?